Professor Andrew Krentz
MB ChB, MD, FRCP, PhD candidate, FFPM, FRCPath, FRSA
An internationally recognized expert in cardiometabolic medicine, which brings together endocrinology and cardiology to highlight the intersection between diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
Professor Krentz is an academic physician and clinical researcher with extensive experience gained at leading centres in the UK and the USA. He is an internationally recognized expert in cardiometabolic medicine, which brings together endocrinology and cardiology to highlight the intersection between diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
His passions are practising personalised precision medicine that provides state-of-the-art care for the individual whether in management or prevention of disease; taking a holistic approach to health and longevity that incorporates psychological and health beliefs alongside evidence-based medicine and technology.
Currently, he is visiting Professor at King’s College London (2020 to date) and Visiting Professor at the Institute of Cardiovascular & Metabolic Research, University of Reading, UK (2018 to date).
Professor Krentz trained in diabetes and human metabolism at the University of Birmingham, UK, and in the Department of Endocrinology & Metabolism at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, USA.
His previous positions include: Professor of Endocrinology & Metabolism and Director of the Clore Life Sciences laboratory at the University of Buckingham, UK (2016-17); Visiting Professor at the Beds & Herts Postgraduate Medical School, UK (2011-15); Consultant Physician in Diabetes & Endocrinology, Southampton University Hospitals (1995-2009); Senior Clinical Lecturer, University of Southampton, UK (1997-2009); British Heart Foundation International Research Fellow, University of California San Diego, USA (2004-5).
NHS & Academic Posts
King’s College London & University of Reading
Professor Krentz holds these professional memberships:
- President of Vascular, Lipid & Metabolism at the Royal Society of Medicine.
- Scientific & Research Committee member at the cholesterol charity HEART UK.
- European Group for the Study of Insulin Resistance (EGIR).
- Diabetes & Cardiovascular Study Group of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD).
- Fellowship of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine at the Royal College of Physicians of London conferred in recognition of outstanding contributions to pharmaceutical medicine
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Pathologists on the strength of academic publications in the field of chemical pathology
- Fellowship of the Royal Society of Arts reflecting an innovative multidisciplinary approach to the education of clinicians.
Book An Appointment with Professor Krentz
Professor Krentz has been the author numerous scientific publications along with a series of well-received textbooks. These include:
- Type 2 Diabetes in Practice (2001)
- The Metabolic Syndrome & Cardiovascular Disease (2007)
- Cardiovascular Endocrinology & Metabolism: Theory & Practice of Cardiometabolic Medicine (2021)
In addition, Professor Krentz is active on the editorial boards of several international medical journals and is the founding Editor-in-Chief of the international multidisciplinary journal Cardiovascular Endocrinology & Metabolism.