Kidney and heart protection
Safeguard your long-term health with our specialist cardiac and nephrology services
Speak to one of our specialists today:
Protect yourself against long-term heart and kidney complications with cutting-edge diabetes treatments
Over time diabetes can affect the blood vessels and the circulation. With diabetes, a person has a much higher risk of heart and kidney complications than without diabetes. The heart and kidneys are at particular risk of disease, which impacts on health, wellbeing and longevity. Excellent diabetes management and tight glucose control together with blood pressure, weight and cholesterol control, can help prevent these long-term complications. The London Diabetes Centre offers cutting-edge diabetes treatment and tests with consultant cardiologists and nephrologists available (OMIT) to safeguard your health.
The best way to prevent the long-term complications of diabetes is to carefully control blood glucose levels. Eating a healthy diet, living an active life, monitoring blood sugar levels and taking the right treatment can help reduce the risk of damage to the blood vessels.
- Keep your blood sugar levels within your target range. Attend regular diabetes checks to stay on track and ensure problems are picked up at an early stage.
- The diabetes team will monitor your blood pressure and treat any hypertension. Commit to taking any medication regularly and reliably.
- The London Diabetes Centre will regularly check your lipid profile and provide any treatment you need. All patients with diabetes are recommended to be on a statin.
- Stop smoking, it also damages the heart and blood vessels, The London Diabetes Centre can offer support to quit if you’re finding it a struggle.
- Live an active life. Physical exercise makes the heart stronger, increases blood flow, lowers blood pressure and helps weight loss.
- A balanced diet can protect your cardiovascular system. The Mediterranean way of eating and DASH diets have benefits for your heart. Reduce salt, saturated fats, sugar and processed food and tuck into fresh fruit and vegetables, fish and lean meat, whole grains and pulses, and healthy fats. The London Diabetes Centre’s specialist dietitians can provide advice and support.
- If you’re overweight, try to get to a healthy BMI. It can decrease your blood pressure, reduce the strain on your heart and may put type 2 diabetes into remission. London Medical can provide a truly personalised weight management programme to help you lose weight and keep it off.
- If you know you have heart or kidney complications, then talk with your doctor to make sure your medication is chosen so that you achieve extra protection of your heart and kidneys.
- The London Diabetes Centre are leaders in modern diabetes care. The specialist multidisciplinary team can provide support, medication and cutting-edge technology to help you take control of your diabetes.
Why choose The London Diabetes Centre?
28 years’ experience
The London Diabetes Centre is the UK’s leading private specialist diabetes centre. The clinic offers unparalleled expertise in diagnosing, treating and managing all types of diabetes.
The London Diabetes Centre offers the latest diabetes treatments and technologies in a state-of-the-art clinic in central London. The expert multidisciplinary team are skilled in caring for the physical and psychological impacts of this complex condition. With a holistic approach they offer exceptional care and therapeutic excellence, as well as the education and long-term support needed to allow each individual to live well with diabetes.
Access to the latest drugs and treatments
The London Diabetes Centre rapidly responds to research and offers new drugs and technology often unavailable in the NHS.. Adults, parents and children with diabetes travel from across the globe for the experienced diabetologists, exceptional knowledge and access to leading-edge insulin pumps and sensors.
The London Diabetes Centre has a dedicated pharmacy service. It stocks a range of equipment and devices for diabetes care. Meters, strips, lancets, pumps, glucose sensors and the latest medicines and insulin formulations can be dispensed, even if they are difficult to source elsewhere.
The London Diabetes Centre provides every aspect of diabetes care, under one roof. From the eyes to the heart, kidneys and feet, the effects of diabetes can be far-reaching. The London Diabetes Centre provides screening services and treatments by world-leading experts. In addition to twelve renowned consultant diabetologists, the team also includes top vascular surgeons, cardiologists, nephrologists, ophthalmologists and specialist diabetes nurses, educators, dietitians and chiropodists to provide truly comprehensive diabetes care.
Our Consultant Specialists
Meet our dream team of world class consultants
Frequently Asked Questions
In the early stages, nephropathy can be silent. Many people have no symptoms until the damage is advanced, when you may develop swelling and become unwell. That’s why it’s important to have regular checks and blood tests to monitor kidney function. People with diabetes are five times more likely to need dialysis or a kidney transplant, so it’s a serious issue.
Advice from our experts
London Medical and the London Diabetes Centre have won two awards at the 2019 Private Healthcare Awards: Diabetes Clinic of the Year (for the second year running) Most Outstanding in…
You’ve spent the better part of a month snacking on mince pies, chocolates and second helpings of Christmas pudding. Now it’s January: back to work, back to reality and time…
Diabetes stems from one of two issues. The first (type 1) is that your pancreas doesn’t produce enough insulin, meaning you don’t get enough glucose in the blood.
For more articles and information, specially written out by our network of consultants please click below.